Monday, January 18, 2016

Marching Chiefs Hit the Field 2015-2016 Season

The 2015 football season I joined the Marching Chiefs band. It was my first year on the Chiefs; I am an eighth grader in my last year of middle school. My band director Mr. Zimmermann believes in allowing dedicated musicians become members of the varsity marching band and this year I did just that. This season my marching band included six eighth graders (including me) and three seventh graders. We were an integral part of the band. 

Band camp happened in the middle of August for five long, hot days and nights. We rehearsed, learned music, moves, marching, and the bulk of the halftime show during 13 hour plus days at our high school football and softball fields as well as our band and chorus rooms. By Friday of Band Camp week the parents were invited to see the show which was not complete but definitely better than when we'd started during our first ever practice in May.

Practices continued after Band Camp Week and once school started in September. Each practice we added more to the show, changed things, and continued to make the show better. In fact, every game saw cool changes to our performance so fans would want to stay and watch every time we took the field. We played a great half-time show every game thanks to our amazing Band Director Mr. Zimmermann and his friends who put the show together. 

We played the music of Styx and Fall Out Boy. The songs we played were "Renegade", "Centuries", "Come Sail Away" and finally "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark", in that order. 

The show had a mixture of singing and playing which was really cool and a crowd-pleaser. In addition to the music there was choreography including flag work by the color guard and select trumpet, flute, and clarinet players. That part was designed by Fred Moreno who also taught us how to march.

I was at Marching band so much it started to become my life! No complaints!


Mr. Zimmermann is an amazing teacher. He makes me come back every week for marching band because he constantly inspires me and my band. Check out my piece about Mr. Zimmermann here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=513269286751420039#editor/target=post;postID=6118998447446740342;onPublishedMenu=posts;onClosedMenu=posts;postNum=4;src=postname

The season was tremendous and included one marching competition, a marching festival and a trip to West Point Army college.  

It was the first time our band competed more than once in a season in recent years. Our first competition we did okay. By the time we competed at the festival we had improved our scores and earned silver ratings!

Performing at West Point was a great experience for everyone involved in the marching band. We left our school at 4a with everyone really tired, but excited. Despite our early departure we still arrived late due to a miss-turn by the bus driver. West Point officials greeted us in a rush and sent us on the field for our practice rehearsal. Afterwards we were allowed to witness the cadet band marching and performing. It was precise and excellent! Later we performed during halftime of the game with a dozen other school bands from all around plus the West Point bands. We rocked the stadium playing "Shake It Off", "Sweet Caroline", and "New York, New York". I'll always remember this experience!

The marching band season was awesome! Now my band is in Pep band season.  We will play more of the same music with old and new faces. Soon the Marching Chiefs will be going to play at a New Jersey Devils game. This will be huge to get our band more known in many places.

Marching Band has helped me in a lot of ways. It has forced me to do better on my school work. It has also helped me to memorize things that I learn so if I forget to study or my music drops in the middle of a concert then I won't be in a lot of trouble.

As the school year comes to a close I get sad for two reasons. First, my band mates and I all like the music and will miss performing it together,  but most of all we are losing all of the seniors and it is hard to watch them leave. Most of them are going to colleges in different states which is upsetting to me personally because they are great friends. But others are going to college nearby and are going to go to band camp in the summer.I'm glad about that!

The first year of marching band was awesome. Next year's show is going to be even better and is going to include every one using a percussion instrument at the end. This will be a challenge for me, but one I'm ready to meet and excel at for my band.

Marching Band is the absolute best and I suggest all high school, college, and in some cases middle schoolers join. It was the best thing I ever did!

3 comments:

  1. Great to here you have found something you love doing so much Matthew, we did marching in cadet corps at school, I might have enjoyed it a lot more if we it had been a marching band corps.

    Look forward to seeing a video of one of your performances one day, keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so well written, Matthew! I'm so happy to hear how Mr. Z. inspires kids like you! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job Matthew!! I too am a former marching band participant, and it was one of the best experiences of my middle school/high school time!! Excellently written my friend!!

    ReplyDelete