Monday, January 26, 2015

Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow!!!!


Snow Snow Snow, what a wonderfully crystally, lustrous thing. It gets you out of annoying school and makes you happy. I can do lots of fun things on this long fun weekend. I have a strange theory that when our snow plow/blower are blocked as well as when a snow warning is issued for our area, we will get a lot of snow. The forecast here says 10-18" on top of the 1' from this past Saturday, the day my Boy Scout Troop participated in the district Klondike Derby. I'm not expecting school in the next two days so I'm going to build forts and have snow ball fights with my siblings. We had the plow and blower blocked last night so at 6:30 am I helped attach the plow to my dad's truck. 


Right now in all we have about  one and a half feet of combined snow from over the weekend and today and more on the way. By the looks of it we are going to have more than two feet. I can't wait to go sledding in the awesomely cold snow. It's so wonderful being in snow. I love it so much until it freezes into ice.
Ice stinks because it makes everything too slippery.



On Saturday January 24th 2015 my troop did the Klondike Derby at Allamuchy state park. The Klondike Derby was originally a hunt for gold in Canada. Sled riders used dogs to pull sleds to win the most gold. The winners won a fortune in gold and others were left in the snowy dust. Today we Boy Scouts take part in a series of activities like setting up tents, signaling via hand signals and orienting maps or finding north on a map. Also we had sled inspections which made sure we had everything, made fires to cook our lunches, tied many knots and identified animal tracks and map signals. We had a fun time and got 5th place out of 12 teams in the junior sleds.

Snow days can really be a ton of fun. I wish we had them every day and school did not exist. Of course, then I'd miss band so I'll take the snow days we get and enjoy every minute.

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Matthew. Brings back many memories of my childhood snow days! Love the idea of the Klondike Derby! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see much snow when I was a kid except on the last day of a holiday in Germany in 1967, it was about 18 inches deep and after playing in it all morning on sleds, building castles and having snow ball fights with my German cousins my parents drove me back to England where we lived.

    Enjoy the snow with your siblings while it lasts Matthew !

    ReplyDelete
  3. We both loved your writing. Keep up the good work.
    XOXO Papa

    ReplyDelete